Wednesday, October 27, 2010

10*27*10

One year ago today I was in Granada, Spain.

Yes. Granada. Southern Spain. Home of the Alhambra. Incredibly rich in history, architecture, art, gypsies living in caves on the sides of hills...



And the whole time that I was in this beautiful city, I honestly felt like crap. I was homesick, and physically sick. Completely worn down from all the traveling I'd been doing for the two months prior.


I mean, I'm walking around these beautiful streets, cobblestone pathways, and insanely beautiful palace...


...and all I can think about is how I'd like to go back to the hostel and plop myself down on the hammock and eat oranges. Or be at home, letting my mom make me cinnamon rolls and watching crap television.


Okay, I didn't really want to be doing that. I was having the experience of a lifetime. But I was sick and thinking irrational thoughts.

And maybe sometimes it just takes a little bit of time, and reflection after the experience to really understand and appreciate the whole thing.

Because even if I was dripping buckets of snot and hardly had enough energy to stand, at least, one very, very different year later, I can say "I was THERE!!!"


No comments:

Post a Comment