Friday, March 4, 2011

3*4*11

When I was in college, I lived only two blocks down from the best restaurant in the world.

Debate this all you want, but I've never had anything like the food at Morning Glory, a sweet little breakfast joint in an cute old house across the street from SOU in Ashland, OR. It wasn't uncommon to find us skipping class to get a taste of the Tandoori Tofu, Smoked Salmon Scramble, or Rock Shrimp Cakes with Poached Eggs.

It was so dang good.

And every time I left I felt uncomfortable for the rest of the day. And every time I would tell myself 'I am NOT doing that again!', but the next week I would be back. Stuffing myself to the brim, then trying to make room for more.

Now... one of the best dishes they had there was their oatmeal. Don't go rolling your eyes at me. I know that sounds stupid. I work in a restaurant for goodness sake. I think its PATHETIC when somebody goes out for breakfast and orders oatmeal. I mean, really? It takes 2 ingredients (one of them being water) to make it at home in about 4 minutes.

But! They're oatmeal is a completely different story. Its savory. Yes, savory oatmeal. You just have to try it. I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but give it a shot anyways.

With the help of the internet, I think I've gotten as close as I can to recreating the recipe.

Its got toasted coconut, pecans, golden raisins, dried cranberries, and dates... oh those dates!


Its also full of spice, isn't that nice?

Curry... cinnamon... ginger... nutmeg....


What I do is put all the ingredients in a big ol' jar.


Then I shake it up really well. Then I have it all ready to go for breakfast each morning. Quick and easy.


Morning Glory Oatmeal
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans because I'm allergic)
  • 1/4 cup shredded, toasted coconut
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons golden raisins
  • 3 tablespoons date pieces (I put in more :)
  • 2 tablespoons craisins, or other dried fruit
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Put all ingredients in a lidded container and shake well.
To make one serving, put 1/2 cup oatmeal mix and 1 cup water in a small pan over medium high heat.
Stir occasionally for a few minutes or until oatmeal has desired consistency.
Serve with a splash of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment