Monday, March 14, 2011

3*14*11

I participated in my first Urban Iditarod this weekend. What's that, you say? It's where a team of silly adults pull a shopping cart (sled) through Portland, stopping along the way at a few different points to refuel and socialize. The cart is built around a theme, and the team is decorated to match it.

I built a cart around a wedding theme because this event was also a part of my friend Loren's bachelorette party. I made a wedding cake out of cardboard that I placed on top of the cart, but it didn't last too long in our Portland drizzle. Lesson learned: next year, use a lot less cardboard and paper products!

For costumes, the bride-to-be wore a wedding dress, and we wore ugly bridesmaids dresses.


Our boy's team won Ninkasi's best cart award! They built theirs around horse races. It's actually an interactive cart where you can play the drinking/betting game!


And here are the lovely ladies dressed as firefighters! They made their costumes out of duct tape. So creative!


One of the stops along the way: a giant dance party in Barracuda. At 2:00 in the afternoon!


Check out this video to see the teams running. You can get an idea just how creative and wild it is!


Thanks to my lovely friend Debbie Lee for taking these photos! It's so wonderful to have a photographer in the group!

No comments:

Post a Comment