Wednesday, March 2, 2011

3*2*11

There are these cookies that I started making a few years ago. I was feeling the need for a healthy cookie. Something that I could be enjoyed equally as breakfast or dessert. In my search, I stumbled across this recipe for a cookie full of seeds, oats, and of course, chocolate. It is gluten free, vegan, and possibly the most dangerous cookie I've ever made, since I'm never able to stop at just one. Since baking these just a few days ago, I've probably consumed upwards of 20 cookies. I'm. Not. Kidding.


I've been making these ever-so-regularly, and just a few months ago I was in the very beautiful and expensive Whole Foods Market. I was perusing their cookie selection, when I noticed a very similar cookie. I checked out the ingredients, and sure enough, it had most of the same key players. That cookie: more than $2 a pop.


What can I say? They're healthy. They're delicious. They're expensive!!! (they really don't cost much to make, but you can tell yourself that as you gobble them down)

Planet Organic Cosmic Cookies
adapted from Food.com
  • 2 1/4 cups rolled oats
  • 2 cups spelt flour
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup flax seed
  • 1 cup granulated unbleached cane sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 3/4 cups dark chocolate chips or carob chips (to make it vegan)
  • 1 1/4 cups dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
  • 3/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup soy milk
Preheat oven to 350.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Combine dry ingredients, from oats to craisins.
In a separate bowl, whisk wet ingredients, from water to soy milk.
Stir dry and wet together until just combined.
Scoop by the large spoonful onto baking sheets.
Bake 20-24 minutes.
Recipe makes way more cookies than you could ever dream of consuming, even with a large appetite, so consider placing cookies into ziplock baggies and storing in the freezer for a quick, healthy snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment