Thursday, March 31, 2011

3*31*11

I'm meeting my new friend today. A very special friend. And I am very excited about it.

I signed up with Big Brothers Big Sisters a couple months ago. I've always felt that it is really important for everyone to give back to their communities. Its just that I've always been SO busy (and aren't we all?). And its not that I'm not busy anymore, but I just felt like with the weight of school being off my shoulders, and with all the things that I do have, like a job, an education, and a stable home, there's really no reason why I can't give something back.

So I began looking into ways that I could do this. Hands On Portland has an amazing website that lets you search volunteer opportunities by region, interest, and availability. There were so many different options! Did I want to work at a local non-profit movie theater? Help out at a school garden? Teach art classes? I started getting a little overwhelmed with all the options.

I guess that I chose Big Brothers Big Sisters because it seemed like a very natural and fun first step in the giving back process. After an in-depth interview and training, Big Brothers pairs you with a Little (sisters paired with sisters, brothers with brothers), age 6-17. They try to match you with common interests, backgrounds, etc. Then, you basically become a friend and mentor to this person, meeting with them at least once a week. Basically, you just have to be a friend to this person indefinitely.

I'm friendly. I can do this.

So, after about 6 weeks of waiting for the right match, I am going to meet my little today! I know that she is 10 years old. She wants to be an artist and likes writing in cursive. She also wants to learn how to garden and ride horses. She has two sisters and a brother. I think she sounds awesome!

So, I'm coming up with ideas of things to do together. Thats something I am supposed to bring tonight when I meet with her and her mom.

A few ideas:
Painting
Gardening (I do have a big one in my back yard!)
Learning calligraphy
Baking (maybe she'll love it as much as I do!)
Going for hikes
Swimming

.....Suggestions welcomed....!

1 comment:

  1. I think that you would make a fantastic Big sister! You were a great Big sister figure to me when i was growing up I remember going swimming, playing basketball and just chattering away. It was just fun having someone to listen to me and relate to. so as long as you do that again, your golden :)

    ReplyDelete